Every day, millions share various content on different niches in the most popular online video-sharing platform, YouTube. However, unfortunately, some of the videos do not comply with the YouTube community guidelines. Some videos may have inappropriate messages on sensitive content such as hate speech, bullying, misinformation, abuse, and violence. Thanks to the caring YouTube community, those kinds of channels cannot remain open for a long time. If you are a sensitive person creating content on the platform, you should read our how-to-report a channel on YouTube step-by-step guide.
When you encounter inappropriate content on YouTube, you can easily report a channel or video on a desktop and a mobile device after you glance at our guidebook. Step up to the plate and make safe the video-sharing platform together!
How to Report a YouTube Channel on a Desktop
You should report a YouTube video if you think the content violates the community guidelines. However, you may need to learn how to report a YouTube channel on a desktop. Don’t fret; we will share the steps with you.
- Visit the YouTube site and log in to your account.
- Search for the account you want to report.
- After finding the YouTube account, click the profile picture and see the entire page.
- The About section, which you need to click, is located under the cover photo of the YouTube user.
- On the right side of the new page, you will see a flag icon; click it to report the channel owner.
- After clicking the icon, a drop-down menu will appear.
- Tap Report user and various items will show up.
- Pick one of the most suitable reporting options and continue the process which varies according to issues. For example, if you want to report a channel because its videos have deceptive activities, pick spam and scams.
- Select abusive videos- optional.
- Next, add some details to be more clear about your report.
- Click Submit and done.
That’s all! You have just reported a YouTube channel on your computer because you consider it as a scam or spam; therefore, it should be terminated for good. You can examine other reporting options which can result in severer consequences. However, be careful when you report users because the YouTube review team researches the reality of this reporting activity.
Reporting a Channel on a Mobile Device
You may wonder how to report a channel on YouTube via mobile devices. Here are the steps;
- Open the YouTube app on your iOS or Android mobile phone.
- Find the channels you want to report.
- See the three dots in the upper right corner.
- Click the dots, find out the drop-down menu, and pick Report user.
- Pick the reason why you want to report the user.
- Fill in the other details and complete the process.
It’s really as easy as pie! After the YouTube team does a thorough review, the channel can get punishment or a warning. You can monitor from the Report History section whether the reported content you marked while notifying the channel was deleted.
How to Report YouTube Videos
When you report a YouTube channel, the review team doesn’t check the user’s videos; they just check the content you attach to your reporting form. If you think some content of the user violates YouTube guidelines, then report a particular video to secure the community. The report video process can vary according to devices. Let’s check the steps both on mobile and desktop devices.
Report a Video on Desktop
Follow those steps to report a video on your computer;
- Visit the YouTube website through a browser.
- Find the video you want to report.
- After the video starts playing, click three dots at the bottom right of the content.
- Click the Report button, which has a flag icon.
- Select the reason and add details.
- Then, tap Report to complete the procedures.
Reporting a YouTube Video on Mobile Phones
Reporting a video on mobile devices is also possible by pursuing the steps below;
- Open the YouTube app on your smartphone.
- Navigate to the video that you want to report.
- Dab the frame of the video; the Settings icon appears on the upper right side.
- Click the Settings icon, and the flag symbol- Report– appears.
- Choose a reason and click Report to finish it.
After you report a video, YouTube’s staff will review it as soon as possible to safeguard the platform. If they think the video has a violation, then they warn or penalize the channel. However, the platform will terminate the user’s account if the reported video has severe or iterative violations.
Grasping the Guidelines of the YouTube Community
Now, you know how to report a channel on YouTube. However, you must be careful when you notify any violation. Since it might be risky for your account unless the reported content violates the YouTube community guidelines; thus, you need to know the scope of the policies.
Coverage of Community Guidelines
YouTube Community Guidelines has lots of policies to protect the platform. If you want to report videos, channels, or users, check them first because this action may cause trouble. The main scopes are,
Sensitive content: Sexual content, child safety, self-harm, suicide, thumbnails, and filthy language
Spam & deceptive content: Channel impersonation, spam, scams, external links, and fake engagement
Dangerous & offensive content: Harassment, hate speech, criminal organizations, and violent content
Sales or promotion of regulated goods are also forbidden. Besides, disseminating misinformation about elections or any severe issues is out of the question. There are also additional policies about account activity. If a channel stays inactive for 6 months, it will be completely eradicated.
Can I Report a YouTube Channel Anonymously?
Yes, the whole reporting process occurs anonymously; therefore, don’t be freaked out. The channel owners cannot learn that you report their accounts or videos. Even if you are anonymous while reporting, the YouTube team knows you. Please, don’t abuse the system and underestimate the policies because YouTube takes inappropriate content to heart.
Does YouTube Reporting System Serve the Purpose?
The YouTube teams work 24/7 to protect the popular video-sharing platform. They check each report and decide whether it violates the rules or not. If the content violates the guidelines, YouTube may remove or restrict it to the grown audience.
How Many Reports Do a Channel Need to Be Terminated?
There are not any limits! Even if you report the same channel several times, it cannot be terminated directly because real people check whether they are real. If the reviewers see any violation, the channel or video will be removed from the platform. However, if they are in accordance with the YouTube community guidelines, reporting content cannot cause any removal.